FUNDING BOOST FOR VICTORIA’S LOCAL LIBRARIES
The Andrews Labor Government is investing in Victoria’s local libraries, announcing funding for better facilities and services at 12 libraries across the state.
The Minister for Local Government Adem Somyurek and the Member for Bayswater Jackson Taylor today announced the councils that will receive funding for their library projects, including $450,000 towards Knox City Council’s Knox Central Library redevelopment.
The Labor Government’s $4.1 million Living Libraries Infrastructure Program helps Victorian councils and regional library corporations upgrade and adapt to meet the needs of changing and growing communities.
Other projects funded include:
- $500,000 for Ballarat City Council’s Ballarat Library refurbishment
- $240,000 for Buloke Shire Council’s Wycheproof Community Resource Centre extension
- $140,600 for Central Goldfields Shire Council’s Dunolly Library project
- $400,000 for Greater Bendigo City Council’s new Kangaroo Flat Library
- $300,000 for Hindmarsh Shire Council’s Jeparit and Rainbow Libraries project
- $500,000 for Nillumbik Shire Council’s Diamond Valley Library redevelopment
- $750,000 for South Gippsland Shire Council’s Korumburra Community Hub development
- $450,000 for Yarra Ranges Council’s Belgrave Library refurbishment
- $120,000 each for the Ararat Rural City, Pyrenees Shire and Yarriambiack Shire Councils for new outreach vans.
More than nine million different items are borrowed from Victorian libraries every year and they provide a vital service for communities across the state, with 2.2 million members across 277 permanent and 30 mobile libraries.
In August, the Government announced $44.7 million in funding to support public libraries across Victoria to buy new books and e-resources, and deliver programs including story time for children and outreach services.
Public libraries also benefit from the Premiers’ Reading Challenge Book Fund, which provides an annual allocation for books and materials to support the Premiers’ Reading Challenge.
More information on the Living Libraries Infrastructure Program is available at localgovernment.vic.gov.au/grants.
Quotes attributable to Minister for Local Government Adem Somyurek
“Libraries are about so much more than books – they strengthen and provide vital services to Victorian communities.”
“We’re working with councils to improve libraries right across Victoria so they can better meet the needs of their communities.”
Quote attributable to Member for Bayswater Jackson Taylor
“The Knox Central Library is a popular spot for locals of all ages and this redevelopment will mean even more families will be able to enjoy it.”
Media Contact: Jamila Fontana 0409 741 279 | email@example.com